GnuCash+git development process with multiple branches?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jul 1 11:37:37 EDT 2013

On Jul 1, 2013, at 8:04 AM, "Derek Atkins" <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:

> On Mon, July 1, 2013 10:41 am, John Ralls wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:36 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hmm, did you just do something on code?  I just did it again:
>>>
>>> git clone --mirror ssh://git@code.gnucash.org/gnucash.git
>>> cd gnucash.git
>>> git fetch --all
>>>
>>> ...and it worked without error:
>>>
>>> [warlord at mocana gnucash.git]$ git fetch --all
>>> Fetching origin
>>> [warlord at mocana gnucash.git]$
>>
>> You used clone --mirror instead of --bare.
>
> Is this bad?   What's the difference?  In my case I wonder if --mirror
> isn't the right answer?

No.

From the manpage:
"Compared to --bare, --mirror not only maps local branches of the source to local branches of the target, it maps all refs (including remote-tracking branches, notes etc.) and sets up a refspec configuration such that all these refs are overwritten by a git remote update in the target repository."

Well, it seems to get around the missing-master problem so yes, it's probably a better choice.

>> I'll observe that the difference between Code and Github is that the
>> github repos have their default branches set to trunk instead of master.
>
> Fair enough.  What would happen if we added the alias on code?
> Would that break the git-svn push to github?

Probably wouldn't affect the push to github, but that's not git-svn, that's pure git. Where it might cause a problem is if you tried to git svn dcommit from master instead of trunk if you hadn't hand-edited your .git/config to coerce git-svn to do the right thing.

Regards,
John Ralls