Feature discussion: Access restriction for gnucash files by password

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Jun 26 17:00:55 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 26 June 2013 22:45:24 Christian Stimming wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 25. Juni 2013, 14:20:33 schrieb John Ralls:
> > I suppose that this isn't too harmful so long as it's clear that it
> > conveys a false sense of security and that simply having separate
> > userids is a better solution.
> >
> > Note that the MySql and Postgresql backends do provide for
> > authentication, but we defeat it by storing the userid and
> > password. In those cases we should  pop up the authentication
> > dialog rather than storing the credentials rather than using a KVP
> > parameter on the book.
>
> Where do we store the passwords? Just in the full URL? That means if
> there is no password the connection just doesn't open. We don't have
> an extra password dialog if the SQL server responds but asks for a
> password, correct?

If I remember correctly, I implemented this as follows:
- if the user enters a password in the file open/save as dialog, it's used
- if no password is entered, a password request dialog pops up before attempting a connection
- when a keychain is available, the password is stored in there automatically. This part may
need some refinement.

Geert