Short explanation of how to use the unittests?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Mar 23 10:09:10 EDT 2013

On Mar 22, 2013, at 3:15 PM, Christian Stimming <christian at cstimming.de> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I just tried to do some test-driven development in gnucash. However, I
> couldn't find some short or easy explanation on how to actually work with the
> unittest framework that we're using.
>
> For example, I can see a failing test in libqof, "/qof/gnc-date/qof print date
> dmy buff", and now I want to see the verbose output of that particular test to
> know which of the asserts are failing. There must be some env variable magic
> or similar things to switch on the stdout output. Where can I read about that?
>
> Could you please add a (short) wiki page in the gnucash wiki to answer a
> question like that? Alternatively, a similar first explanation could be added
> either to the README or the HACKING text document (or a pointer to such a
> document), but I couldn't find either. There must have been an explanation
> somewhere. Alas, it is not possible to find it...

Christian,

The short answer is that Glib testing is documented here:
https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-Testing.html
https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/gtester.html
https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/gtester-report.html

When you run e.g. test-qof you're really running gtester.

There's already a testing page in the wiki, http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Testing, but it is a bit terse and has only the first link. I'll add a section on running tests with the other two.

Regards,
John Ralls