Short explanation of how to use the unittests?

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Fri Mar 22 17:15:35 EDT 2013

Hi John,

I just tried to do some test-driven development in gnucash. However, I
couldn't find some short or easy explanation on how to actually work with the
unittest framework that we're using.

For example, I can see a failing test in libqof, "/qof/gnc-date/qof print date
dmy buff", and now I want to see the verbose output of that particular test to
know which of the asserts are failing. There must be some env variable magic
or similar things to switch on the stdout output. Where can I read about that?

Could you please add a (short) wiki page in the gnucash wiki to answer a
question like that? Alternatively, a similar first explanation could be added
either to the README or the HACKING text document (or a pointer to such a
document), but I couldn't find either. There must have been an explanation
somewhere. Alas, it is not possible to find it...

Regards,

Christian