Development primer?

Allen S. Rout asr at routhouse.org
Sat May 11 00:24:22 EDT 2013

Is there an environment I should prefer to use to build Gnucash?  Having
looked over

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git

and e.g. the Helpful Message, I cloned the git repo, autogenned,
./configure --enable-compile-warnings, and then made check:

ERROR:test-gnc-date.c:437:test_gnc_setlocale: code should not be reached

I'm on Ubuntu 12.10, but would be happy to gin up a VM if there's
something else that's the most comfortable build environment.

When I shrugged, and just ran make,  and then ran src/bin/gnucash, I got:

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

which was a new one for me.

I infer that I'm building somewhere not well prepared to be a gnucash
build, but I may just be clueless.  Anyone got a bat?

---

The itch I'm wanting to scratch is the ability to direct the generation
of a series of reports;  there's an older question on the list about
making reports for all N of the customers, and I'm in just that
situation for billing the members of our local hackerspace.

Best off, I'd like to extend the reach of the Python API (which we're
already using for many things; thanks!) so that it can trigger report
generation.   but other command-line-invocation solutions would be fine too.

Additionally, I want to be able to express from my python such desires as:

Enumerate for me the active customers (or customer numbers, or...)..
Right now I'm checking customers zero to 10,000 for

if (customer == None):

.. works, but ick.

and "What's the largest invoice?", and probably other similar queries.

- Allen S. Rout