Development primer?

Allen S. Rout asr at routhouse.org
Mon May 13 17:35:01 EDT 2013

On 05/11/2013 05:28 AM, Christian Stimming (mobil) wrote:
> Dear Allen, I'm sorry to hear the program does not start. The error during make check is caused because you don't have the French locale installed. We discussed this here already 3-4 weeks ago.

Thanks!  Found the thread;  I added

	$(GLIB_LIBS)

/src/backend/sql/test/Makefile.am

and also did

apt-get install language-pack-fr-base

and my make check succeeds.

> But the error on start is weird. I also use Ubuntu 12.10 and haven't seen this problem. Maybe something with your version of swig or guile?

asr at twoflower:~/src/gnucash/src/bin$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -i swig
swig                                            install
swig2.0                                         install
asr at twoflower:~/src/gnucash/src/bin$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -i guile
guile-1.8                                       install
guile-1.8-dev                                   install
guile-1.8-libs                                  install

is what I had.

I installed guile-2.0, re-ran, and it failed again.  So I made
distclean, re-configured and re-made, just in case the guile-1.8ness was
affecting it before runtime.

Still got

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

... Now, what I'm doing is

make
cd src/bin
./gnucash

... Is there some reason I should expect this to fail?  I can remove the
system gnucash, and install this in my homedir, if that'll be necessary
for development work.

- Allen S. Rout