Another 2.5.1 request - this for reports with charts

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 14 00:32:43 EDT 2013

On 5/13/2013 10:38 PM, John Ralls wrote:
> On May 13, 2013, at 11:59 AM, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> I am glad you asked.
>>
>> In one case it was a net worth linechart that was left open after being
>> created initially in release 2.4.13 or earlier.  I did not try to save
>> this one as pdf or html.
>>
>> In another case it was a new instance of one of the barchart reports,
>> probably the asset barchart.  As I recall, I could change date options,
>> but I did not get back to options before my computer died to see if it
>> would show a table.  The pdf that it was able to save was completely
>> blank  The HTML report was saved (I think) but Firefox did not like
>> trying to open it, then memory usage went up to 98% and it took about 45
>> minutes to close the programs that I thought might need to save
>> something before I re-booted.  Even the clock was still showing 10:00 pm
>> this morning.
>> During that 45 minutes GnuCash 2.5.1 disappeared but there was no crash
>> report, so it may have closed cleanly.
>>
>> Then I needed to work with my real data so I re-installed 2.4.13.  Now I
>> am re-opening my test file with 2.4.13, but it is taking a long time.
>> There was no lock file.  The line chart did re-appear, and I think it is
>> building a bar chart, so we will see, if it ever finishes...  It was the
>> Assets over time barchart, and it does show a chart in 2.4.13.  The
>> register2 views were not there.
>>
>> Another day I can recall opening some other report and seeing values.
>> That may have been some other asset report
> Not to be overly pedantic, but it's too late for 2.5.1 requests. Depending on complexity, it might be too late
> for 2.5.2, which will release in 2 weeks. Maybe you should call it a 2.6.0 request.
>
> That aside, it sounds like there was a bit much going on there to say for sure that there's an actual Gnucash
> problem. If it happens again then it may be a Gnucash bug and you should file a report in Bugzilla.
> If it doesn't, then there was a problem with M$Win on your machine and a bit more testing on your part
> is needed to see if there's an actual problem with Gnucash. I'm pretty sure you knew that already and were
> perhaps a bit frustrated after your crash. Switching to a Mac or to Linux is a great way to reduce that frustration. ;-)
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I am pretty sure that all the barchart reports are broken in the Windows
release 2.5.1.  I am not doing very much testing because 2.5.1 also
crashes when editing scheduled transactions, which I do nearly every day
in my real data, so I must go back quickly to 2.4.13.  I do not have any
problems with memory usage when 2.4.13 is running, so I suspect that
2.5.1 may also have a memory leak.  Granted, I am not properly equipped
to test that hypothesis.

I chose the thread title specifically to break away from the Time for
2.5.1 thread.  I suppose I should have either called it a 2.5.2 request
or Another 2.5.1 bug.  I do think it should be tested in Windows by a
developer before releasing 2.5.2.  It is not that hard to open one or
two reports in a test file.

Actually, I am running Ubuntu 12.04 part time on my laptop.
Unfortunately, I am also using some programs that have no Linux
counterpart, so I am not considering a total conversion.