Another 2.5.1 request - this for reports with charts

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon May 13 23:38:23 EDT 2013

On May 13, 2013, at 11:59 AM, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am glad you asked.
>
> In one case it was a net worth linechart that was left open after being
> created initially in release 2.4.13 or earlier.  I did not try to save
> this one as pdf or html.
>
> In another case it was a new instance of one of the barchart reports,
> probably the asset barchart.  As I recall, I could change date options,
> but I did not get back to options before my computer died to see if it
> would show a table.  The pdf that it was able to save was completely
> blank  The HTML report was saved (I think) but Firefox did not like
> trying to open it, then memory usage went up to 98% and it took about 45
> minutes to close the programs that I thought might need to save
> something before I re-booted.  Even the clock was still showing 10:00 pm
> this morning.
> During that 45 minutes GnuCash 2.5.1 disappeared but there was no crash
> report, so it may have closed cleanly.
>
> Then I needed to work with my real data so I re-installed 2.4.13.  Now I
> am re-opening my test file with 2.4.13, but it is taking a long time.
> There was no lock file.  The line chart did re-appear, and I think it is
> building a bar chart, so we will see, if it ever finishes...  It was the
> Assets over time barchart, and it does show a chart in 2.4.13.  The
> register2 views were not there.
>
> Another day I can recall opening some other report and seeing values.
> That may have been some other asset report

Not to be overly pedantic, but it's too late for 2.5.1 requests. Depending on complexity, it might be too late
for 2.5.2, which will release in 2 weeks. Maybe you should call it a 2.6.0 request.

That aside, it sounds like there was a bit much going on there to say for sure that there's an actual Gnucash
problem. If it happens again then it may be a Gnucash bug and you should file a report in Bugzilla.
If it doesn't, then there was a problem with M$Win on your machine and a bit more testing on your part
is needed to see if there's an actual problem with Gnucash. I'm pretty sure you knew that already and were
perhaps a bit frustrated after your crash. Switching to a Mac or to Linux is a great way to reduce that frustration. ;-)

Regards,
John Ralls