Gnucash reports

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat May 18 06:32:53 EDT 2013

On Saturday 30 March 2013 20:04:13 Peter Broadbery wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been modifying the report code to remove the current rather bad
> quadratic behaviour it sometimes displays.  Current results take a 10
> second multi-year balance report down below a second.
>
> Would there be interest in getting this work into trunk? Obviously, it
> needs further cleanup and testing, but I thought an early heads up to
> the mailing list would be useful for getting comments.
>
> There is a work in progress in
> https://github.com/pbroadbery/gnucash/tree/topic/pab/blah-reports. It
> adds new reports (prefixed with 'blah' for no good reason), so they
> can be run side by side with the existing reports.  It also adds
> various simple tests that exercise both the standard reports and my
> modified versions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

I took some time to look at your reports work.

I noticed it has moved to another branch now:
https://github.com/pbroadbery/gnucash/commits/pab/topic/report-rewrite/v1

I only read through the commits so far, which is of course not the same as actually running
the code. But it looks like you have some progress already.

Can you give a short status update ? What you have done so far, what went well, where do
you see issues, what will be next ?

A minor side remark: when you rewrote the chart reports to make use of your new collector
feature, you fixed lots of whitespace issues in one go. I think fixing these whitespace issues
is a good thing. However, the way you did it (in the same commit that also hold the
functional changes) makes it rather hard to see the imporant changes at a glance. When you
clean up your code for inclusion, can you split up that commit in two ? One for all the
whitespace cleanups and one for the functional changes.

Thanks for your work so far !

Geert