Navigation 2.5.1

Robert Fewell 14ubobit at gmail.com
Sat May 18 12:21:05 EDT 2013

As you know, the register rewrite is based on the use of a GtkTreeView and
as such there are some differences to navigation from the old register so I
thought I would mention them here, this is all after the latest patch in
bug 700579.

To change cell entries they need to be active, this can be done by mouse
clicking in the cell, hitting space when the cursor is in the cell or by
tabbing into the cell. To finish the changes, you need to hit enter or tab
to the next cell. Tabbing will step over any cell not editable. The cursor
keys move the cursor around while no cell is active or navigate within the
cell when active.

Cells like reconcile can be toggled either by mouse click or the space bar.

Escape key is used to cancel the cell changes so we have an undo option,
thats before leaving the cell or committing.

Committing the changes can be done by using the enter icon on the tool bar,
mouse clicking a different transaction, tabbing out of the transaction,
using the cursor keys to leave the transaction or hitting the enter key
when no cell is active. All of these methods will bring up the save the
changed transaction dialogue unless you have ticked the remember feature.

The description column gets any extra space when the window is resized.

Column resizing is done by dragging the column separator as normal in the
header or you can double click it. If you double click, it seems to change
the size back to that of the saved values, so if you drag the description
separator to make it bigger, just double click it and it will restore.

Columns can now be moved by dragging the appropriate header. The only
difficult one is the status column, just move the ones around it to achieve
the desired effect.

Sorting is done the clicking on the headers while the appropriate title is
visible.

Showing the Date entered is a preference setting along with showing the
buttons on the calendar.

The tree view is now using fixed height rows and so should improve the
speed but it is still not as fast as the old register but by specifying the
number of transactions to load in the preference settings I can load 1000
transaction in about two seconds in my under resource virtual machine.

Robert.