GnuCash-Docs: outdated OMFs

Frank H. Ellenberger frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com
Mon May 20 08:22:05 EDT 2013

Hi,

working on the docs, I was wondering about the redundancy between e.g.
/help/C/gnucash-help.xml and gnucash-help-C.omf. The latter is the Open
Media Framework
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Media_Framework_Interchange], which
contains some metadata like Author, Title, Abstract.

gnucash-help.xml contains:
>       (Do not remove this comment block.)
>   Template Maintained by the GNOME Documentation Project:
> 	  http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp
>   Template version: 2.0 beta
>   Template last modified Feb 12, 2002

http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp returns: 404 Not Found

So it seems, we missed something in the time after wilddev released
2.0.1 7 years ago.

Searching for .omf I found
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeDocUtilsMigrationHowTo

This again is marked as obsoleted by
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/NewDocumentationInfrastructure

But that contains the warning: Do not port to the new system if the
application still needs to run under GNOME 2. Yelp 2 does not recognize
the new help system.

So I think we should try to update our docs to the state described in
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeDocUtilsMigrationHowTo

The advantage would be the omf file would be created by a template
*.omf.in and the recent content of the related tags in the main document.

The con would be the additional dependency on gnome-doc-utils for the
make process.

Any objections to work on this?

Frank