Navigation 2.5.1

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 20 11:32:22 EDT 2013

Robert Fewell <14ubobit at gmail.com> writes:

> To change cell entries they need to be active, this can be done by mouse
> clicking in the cell, hitting space when the cursor is in the cell or by
> tabbing into the cell. To finish the changes, you need to hit enter or tab
> to the next cell. Tabbing will step over any cell not editable. The cursor
> keys move the cursor around while no cell is active or navigate within the
> cell when active.

I already commented on this, but I agree with others that most editable
cells should become active regardless of how you enter the cell.

> Cells like reconcile can be toggled either by mouse click or the space bar.
>
> Escape key is used to cancel the cell changes so we have an undo option,
> thats before leaving the cell or committing.
>
> Committing the changes can be done by using the enter icon on the tool bar,
> mouse clicking a different transaction, tabbing out of the transaction,
> using the cursor keys to leave the transaction or hitting the enter key
> when no cell is active. All of these methods will bring up the save the
> changed transaction dialogue unless you have ticked the remember feature.
>
> The description column gets any extra space when the window is resized.

I'm debating whether this should be the case.  It's been a major source
of user frustration that the description column auto-resizes to fill the
window.

> Column resizing is done by dragging the column separator as normal in the
> header or you can double click it. If you double click, it seems to change
> the size back to that of the saved values, so if you drag the description
> separator to make it bigger, just double click it and it will restore.
>
> Columns can now be moved by dragging the appropriate header. The only
> difficult one is the status column, just move the ones around it to achieve
> the desired effect.
>
> Sorting is done the clicking on the headers while the appropriate title is
> visible.
>
> Showing the Date entered is a preference setting along with showing the
> buttons on the calendar.

I presume this column is *always* read-only?
If we're going to add this, maybe also add a column for the reconciled
date?  (Again, it should be read-only)

> The tree view is now using fixed height rows and so should improve the
> speed but it is still not as fast as the old register but by specifying the
> number of transactions to load in the preference settings I can load 1000
> transaction in about two seconds in my under resource virtual machine.

The old register was optimized and specific.  It might take time to
re-optimize the generic UI.