gitolite branch -- nonexistent ref?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon May 20 22:53:02 EDT 2013

On May 20, 2013, at 6:15 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> I was working on setting up a git checkout to build the docs and noticed
> that the 'default branch' is broken in gitolite.  I just tried to run:
>
> git clone ssh://git@code.gnucash.org/gnucash.git and it downloaded
> everything until it got to the end, where it gave me:
>
> warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.
>
> Is this something I need to fix on the server?  If I clone with "-b
> trunk" then it works.
>
> -derek
>
> PS: gnucash-docs has the same issue..

Probably your local git is looking for refs:origin:master, which doesn't exist. If it bugs you you can make it with
  git branch master
  git push origin master
in each repo, which should fix it for future use, though it's a bit of a trap because master won't get updated. Otherwise,
  git clone -b trunk
is fine until we get rid of svn and rename trunk to master.

Regards,
John Ralls