gitolite branch -- nonexistent ref?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue May 21 08:58:38 EDT 2013

On Monday 20 May 2013 19:53:02 John Ralls wrote:
> On May 20, 2013, at 6:15 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> > I was working on setting up a git checkout to build the docs and noticed
> > that the 'default branch' is broken in gitolite.  I just tried to run:
> >
> > git clone ssh://git@code.gnucash.org/gnucash.git and it downloaded
> > everything until it got to the end, where it gave me:
> >
> > warning: remote HEAD refers to nonexistent ref, unable to checkout.
> >
> > Is this something I need to fix on the server?  If I clone with "-b
> > trunk" then it works.
> >
> > -derek
> >
> > PS: gnucash-docs has the same issue..
>
> Probably your local git is looking for refs:origin:master, which doesn't
> exist. If it bugs you you can make it with git branch master
>   git push origin master
> in each repo, which should fix it for future use, though it's a bit of a
> trap because master won't get updated.
Couldn't this be solved by adapting the svn-git sync script ?

Instead of just pulling in the new changes from svn, also run a
git rebase trunk master ?

> Otherwise, git clone -b trunk
> is fine until we get rid of svn and rename trunk to master.

Good you bring this up: there is an implicit assumption here that once we drop svn, we also
drop the svn convention of using trunk for the development branch.

I'm fine with this, but that needs to be documented, so other (existing) contributors don't
get confused. I have added a small note on our git wiki page.

Since I intend to cut the svn tie from htdocs over the coming weekend, that will be the first
repository to see this change.

Geert