Announcement: GnuCash Bounty Program GCBoP in June/July 2013

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Wed May 29 03:53:47 EDT 2013

Dear Developers,

after some internal discussion we've decided to use part of our available tip
jar funds for running the

  GnuCash Bounty Program "GCBoP"

The program is described on the wiki page
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bounty_Program , copied in part below. Feel free
to send me any comments and questions that come up.

Goals
--------

The goal of the GnuCash Bounty Program "GCBoP" is to make good use of some of
our available donation money, specifically for the following aspects:

 * Get some issues fixed that have been a pain for many users but somehow were
not interesting enough for developers previously
 * Attract new contributors by rewarding them for working on those issues
 * Stimulate current contributors to take on issues that remain open for too
long
 * Experiment with this sort of bounty program in an Open Source project

How does it work?
------------------------

The GCBoP program puts a bounty on the completion of any of the tasks that are
listed on our GCBoP page [1], for any contributions received between June 1
and July 26, 2013.

Some of the current developers will be act as Evaluators. As soon as some
contributor sends in a patch that completes a task, one evaluator from our
Pool of Evaluators will evaluate this contribution and decide whether a task
is "done" so that the bounty is paid.

See [1] for details.

What are the eligible tasks?
------------------------------------
The following items from Bugzilla (see [1] for the clickable list) are tasks
whose completion will be rewarded by a $200 bounty (or 160 EUR):

   * 514492 Win32: Crash when loading data file with invalid txn dates
   * 669964 Importing log file from a transaction that moves money between
mutual funds creates a brokentransaction
   * 672595 If the data file is not saved when the new file wizard terminates,
no confirmation is issued if you exit gnucash
   * 678103 Crash when creating new invoice
   * 691587 Crash while loading corrupted .gnucash/stylesheet-2.0

Criterion for choosing those tasks: They have severity CRITICAL and remained
opened for quite some time already.

Also, the following items from http://gnucash.uservoice.com/ are tasks whose
completion will be rewarded by a $200 bounty (or 160 EUR):

   * Transaction Classifications (Bug 113772)
   * Add Undo Functionality (Bug 509267)
   * Make it easier for users to work with alternative/non-ISO/private
currencies. (Bug 657215)
   * Add the ability to attached scanned images to invoices. (Bug 336843)
   * Type ahead search when entering the accounts to a transaction (Bug
545160)
   * More charting: Budget vs. Actual chart (Bug 700801)
   * Better Budgeting (Bug 700802)
   * Allow the database to be secured by way of a password (Bug 700803)
   * Manually change ordering of Transactions (Bug 700804)
   * Allow saving of Custom Reports without changing name, overwriting
existing report (Bug 649284)

Criterion for choosing those tasks: Those are the Top Ten feature requests by
count of the user's votes. (Excluding the "declined" ones due to the immense
structural changes they require.) And yes, they are not easy to do. That's the
whole point of the GCBoP program.

Questions? Comments?

Feel free to send any comments and questions that come up to me privately or
here on the list. I'll summarize and send out the final announcement on June
1st, when GCBoP will actually start.

Best Regards,

Christian

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bounty_Program