gnucash-htdocs branch master updated. svn_last-505-ga286032

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri May 31 04:33:18 EDT 2013

On Thursday 30 May 2013 11:26:59 Derek Atkins wrote:
> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:
> >> I was wondering why there were all these links to github (see below)!
> >> That just looked very odd to me.
> >
> > This is certainly different from wat we got with the svn notification
> > script. But what exactly do you find odd about these links ?
>
> I guess what I found odd were the links to github versus having links to
> code.

This is a deliberate choice, but may need some background to understand:
The svn notification mails all have a reference that links back to the commit on our trac
website. That is very convenient to view the commit in it's context.

For git this is slightly different.

For starters we don't have a trac instance for our git repository (not sure if that even exists).
In fact we currently don't have any webinterface to the gitolite repositories. We could set
one up, but IMO we don't really need one.

We already have github repositories that are perfect clones of our gitolite repositories and
github has got a well organized webinterface. So I decided to use this one in the mails.

It really doesn't matter if you look at the commit on github or on code. It *is* the same
commit. That's the guarantee that git brings.

> >> Also, it seems like we're not necessarily getting diffs to the
> >> gnucash-changes list for these merges.  Is that something that can be
> >> fixed or does it not make sense?
> >
> > I did notice the diffs were missing as well and intended to look into
> > these. But with the most recent commits the diffs are there again so I'm
> > not sure what happened. I'll keep an eye on it.
>
> As I think I mentioned in another email, it looks like the diffs are
> being sent to -patches and the overview (sans diffs) are being sent to
> -changes, which is the reverse of what happens with SVN.
>
> If we are going to swap the lists then we might want to ask the people
> on the lists if that's okay with them.  I don't personally object, but
> the reason we created the -changes list at the time was because there
> were objections by people on the -patches to the extra traffic of the
> diffs.
>
> Maybe feelings have changed?  Otherwise we should swap the git output so
> the diffs go to -changes.

I'll start a poll in a new mail.