Content of gnucash-patches/gnucash-changes

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri May 31 04:52:49 EDT 2013

My work on the transition to git accidentally brought up a small issue regarding the two
mailing lists we have the record changes in the repositories: gnucash-changes and gnucash-
patches.

gnucash-changes publishes all commits with full details (diff of all files that got changed)
gnucash-patches instead only publishes summaries of changes (effectively only the commit
messages)

I didn't pay attention when setting up the mail notifications on git and accidentally swapped
these. Looking back I think that happened because gnucash-patches naturally makes me
think of the full diffs and gnucash-changes more of summaries.

I decided to do a a little poll regarding these two lists, to determine how to handle them in
the (git-only) future:

1. Which lists are you subscribed to ?
  a. gnucash-changes
  b. gnucash-patches
  c. both
  d. none

2. If you're only subscribed to one, why that one ?

3. Do you think gnucash needs two lists ? Why yes or why no ?

4. For the future:
  a. We should keep the two list as they are now:
     gnucash-changes should have the detailed logs
     gnucash-patches should have the summaries
  b. We should keep two lists, but swap the contents:
     gnucash-patches should have the detailed logs
     gnucash-changes should have the summaries
  c. I think we only need one list with detailed logs
  d. I think we only need one list with summaries

You may motivate your answers :)

Geert