2.6 roadmap

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Tue Nov 5 16:32:12 EST 2013

Am Dienstag, 5. November 2013, 19:52:05 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> On Tuesday 05 November 2013 11:25:55 Geert Janssens wrote:
> > I've run some tests. If I add the gsettings schemas to the
> > translatable strings, well translated languages get between 50 and 70
> >  new fuzzy or untranslated strings. It's less for languages for which
> > translations are less complete. That's not too bad given that
> > gsettings schemas contain well over 300 translatable strings.
> >
> > I can add these strings today so we can continue with calling the
> > string/feature freeze.
> >
> > I don't know the translation process too well. What is needed for
> > translators to be able to start on the translations in 2.5.x ? I seem
> > to remember we should provide a tarball with up to date po files or
> > something ? I'm even wondering if we shouldn't release a 2.5.8 right
> > after the last strings are added and call that the base for
> > translators ?
>
> The gschemas are translatable now. I have updated the POTFILES.in file
> with the most recent file list. I didn't touch the po files though.
>
> Now how do we get the translators in action ?
>
> I know there is something with the translation project, but I have never
> done anything in that area.
>
> Perhaps Cristian or Christian can provide some insight here ?

Hi Geert and all,

thanks for pursuing all the good work on gnucash. I've been busy with our
bunch of kids a lot, hence I didn't find any time for discussion or coding
here.

Translation updates: The TP usually accepts complete release source tarballs
and uses the gnucash.pot template that comes in those tarballs. In our case
this has the disadvantage of your most recent string change that is not yet
contained inside any released package. To my knowledge this is a problem where
the TP still doesn't have a good solution. One workaround is to release a
"pre-1" package of the consecutive version number, but don't announce it
anywhere and only announce it to the TP. On the other hand, the 2.5.7 package
is probably enough work for all the TP teams anyway, so maybe the changes
since the 2.5.7 tag are not too important anyway. I've announced the 2.5.7
package to the TP, and maybe that's already enough here.

Apart from the TP, in the past I've done the following steps when a string
freeze came:
- Updated the wiki page "Translation_Status" accordingly
- and sent a mail to gnucash-devel asking the Translators who read the list to
start their work.

Nothing else needs to be done, IMHO. In particular, I wouldn't merge the most
recent gnucash.pot into the languge po files. This has been done at the start
of the 2.5.x branch, so the po files are not too old anyway.

I think I don't have time to care about the above mentioned steps. Geert or
Cristian or whoever, please feel free to go ahead here. Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Christian