Bug 336843 - Attach files to Transactions

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Wed Nov 13 16:50:27 EST 2013

Am Mittwoch, 13. November 2013, 13:06:04 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Hi,
>
> Patrick <patrick at setsuid.net> writes:
> > Derek,
> >
> > It would throw an error about file-not-found. If folks are in a shared
> > DB situation, an NFS or CIFS shared drive would work. (Where the path
> > would be the same on all systems.)
> >
> > Alternatively, use of the URL location rather than file location might
> > be preferable in a larger-scale situation. (e.g. via https to a shared
> > folder.)
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> >> Interesting question for you -- what happens if you're using MySQL/PG
> >> and the URI is a file:// URL but the file doesn't exist on a secondary
> >> system?
>
> That is what I expected your answer would be; I'm trying to think
> whether that's an "acceptable" user experience or if they would expect
> the image to be "copied" some place.

This is a very relevant question - for the second iteration of this feature.
In the first iteration, having the URL and/or softlink to the other file(s) is
a great improvement over our previous situation.

But the question of a multi-user access to the SQL database or a file on a
network folder is indeed very relevant. It's the same sort of question as when
the xml file is getting moved around on a computer or copied into a backup. We
need to come up with a good solution on how to communicate to the user which
part is getting backed up and which one is not. Or alternatively the linked
files need to get strongly linked to the gnucash file and/or the SQL database.
Seems quite non-trivial to me, though.

But first I'm happy to see some progress in this feature at all.

Regards,

Christian