Bug 336843 - Attach files to Transactions

Patrick patrick at setsuid.net
Wed Nov 13 20:09:04 EST 2013

Indeed, a very relevant question. I had thought about storing the file
itself in the database as a binary blob, but had concerns the db would
grow too large and cause other stability issues. Also, that wouldn't
work well with the XML back-end.

I'm not sure how to ensure file availability, given any other program
or user outside of GNUCash could alter the filesystem (and, for
instance, delete the file.) That sounds intractable to me, assuming a
file:// url is used. Granted, there's nothing to guarantee an
http/https url will be around at next retrieval either. There is no
URL validation code in the input phase of the "Associate Location"
function - it'll just fail on retrieval. Same problem, different
space.

Fundamentally, they are just links. But, to Derek's point, how then to
educate the user-base so as not to cause resentment when someone's
relative removes the linked files and the user blames GnuCash.

In the end, I gave up pondering this further as I wasn't getting
anywhere. Definitely non-trivial.

Patrick