account types

Martin Mainka internet at mainka-it.de
Wed Nov 20 07:08:05 EST 2013

Am 20.11.2013 12:57, schrieb David Carlson:
> On 11/20/2013 4:07 AM, Martin Mainka wrote:
>> Hi,
>> i noticed while translating chapter "Accounts" if the tutorial guide to
>> German-language, that many account types (checking, trading, currency,
>> other assets, money-market...) are not available in German GnuCash
>> 2.4.13. Are they obsolet, or are they coming in the new Version? If they
>> are coming, what would the Purpose of this types be?
>>
>> best regards
>>
>> Martin
>>
> Good Question.  As a user rather than a developer I think there are two
> ways to view this issue.
>
> One is that the list of account types (sub-types?) is a very short one
> that really only divides accounts into groups that get some sort of
> unique handling somewhere in the program.  An easy example is Bank and
> Stock accounts are handled differently in the program.
> The second is a slight expansion to include differentiation by usage
> that may not really make any distinction in program behavior, but may
> help users see their account structure more clearly and follow good
> accounting practice more easily.
>
> The tutorial guide seems to be written from the second perspective, as
> it does not mention any unique program behaviors for any of the
> currently listed types.  The additional types that you found may
> actually fall into the first category sometime in the future, but in
> release 2.4.13 I think that they do not exist.  I personally would like
> to see them added.
>
> I did notice that the drop-down list of types in the GnuCash Edit
> Account dialog is sorted differently than the tutorial documentation
> list.  That is a little distracting to me.  I would prefer changing the
> program rather than the documentation to resolve this point.  Should I
> create an enhancement bug report about this?
>
> I hope that the release 2.6 documentation will ultimately address both
> views by including short descriptions of how the program treats the
> various account (sub-) types differently.  That, however, is way beyond
> the scope of the current task at hand.
>
> David C

For me it's not a big deal whether the entries are sorted or not. I'm
interested whether account types that are not existent in the
stable version should be removed from the guide, or this types should be
added (even as dummy) for future description of special
treatment and design. No Problem for me to add a tag

       <listitem>
        </listitem>

another question would be if this should not be better done in English
version first, or don't care and retranslate to English,
since many people use the English Guide?