Number to Words and licencing

Leonardo Herrera leonardo.herrera at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 15:42:33 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> [...]
> Why have we not heard from anyone  'Down Under' about this issue?  I
> would expect that checks would still be used in places such as Australia
> and New Zealand.  Also, what about South America or Asia?
>
> David C

Checks are by large the primary way business pay each other down here in Chile,
and they require to have the number written as words. It is also quite common to
print this in quotes and invoices.

It is one of the most common exam questions for programmers here because it is
so ubiquitous. I put out a small library in Delphi, which is not
interesting by its own,
but the test cases are quite complete:

https://code.google.com/p/delphi-numpal/source/browse/trunk/src/Testnumero.pas

As you can see, numbers in Spanish are not straight-forward. 11 is "once", 21 is
"veintiún" or "veintiuno" depending where it is, 31 is "treinta y uno"...

In my opinion, it is not feasible to do this using a one-size-fits-all
approach. Plug ins
may be a good idea.
--
Leonardo Herrera