Allowing the user to select the currency symbol

Frédéric Perrin fred at fperrin.net
Thu Oct 3 19:39:17 EDT 2013

Le jeudi 26 à 17:21, Derek Atkins a écrit :
>> And the complexity of "I'll store in (GConf|the data file) one
>> user-defined field per currency" seems much lower than "I'll store
>> enough data to recreate the entire currency at data-file load time" ;
>> I don't think I can acheive the second.
>
> Actually, the second is already there.  You just need to extend the data
> object and extend the existing UI.
>
> Internally GnuCash treats a Currency like a special-case of of a
> Commodity. So you can leverage all the Commodity editing tools to add
> a Currency Editing tool. Et Voila.

You're right, after getting over my fear of GTK and actually diving into
the code, it was not too hard to do. We now have one more field in the
commodity editor, that allow setting the currency symbol.

First draft of the code is at http://code.fperrin.net/gnucash.git,
branch symbols-per-file (gitweb browser at
http://gitweb.fperrin.net/?p=gnucash.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/symbols-per-file).
File backends other than XML are not supported, and I'm note sure how
the user_symbol interacts with non-currency commodities.

Of course, a small screenshot :
http://brol.fperrin.net/gnucash/currency-editor-symbol.png

--
Fred