Announcement: GnuCash 2.5.6 (Unstable) Release 2013-10-08

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Oct 9 14:15:38 EDT 2013

On Oct 8, 2013, at 5:33 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> WARNING: Preferences are not completely migrated from GConf
> Some preferences are not yet migrated. What's more, the migration occurs every time you start up, over-writing anything that you've changed, so you may want to move ~/.gconf aside after the first time you run GnuCash-2.5.6. You can move it back when you need to use 2.4.13 for real work.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. Not having a .gconf directory crashes:
> [...]
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-scheduled_trans-transaction_editor.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/window-pages-account_tree-summary.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/general.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/general-register.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/general-report.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/general-report-pdf_export.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dev.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-print_checks.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-export-csv.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-import-generic-matcher.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-import-csv.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-import-qif.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/history.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-customer_search.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-employee_search.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-invoice_search.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-job_search.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-order_search.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-vendor_search.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-invoice.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-bill.xml"
> ERROR: In procedure open-file:
> ERROR: No such file or directory: "/Users/john/.gnc-migration-tmp/migrate-prefs-user.scm"

Putting it back allows Gnucash to start properly:
> $ /Users/john> mv .gconf-save/ .gconf
> $ /Users/john>  Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
> Application Path /Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin
> *** GnuCash switched to a new preferences system ***
> Attempt to migrate your preferences from the old to the new system
> Copy all gconf files to tmp dir /Users/john/.gnc-migration-tmp
> Note: you can ignore the failed to load extnral entity warnings below. They are harmless.
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-report.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/general-report-pdf_export.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dev.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-export-csv.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-import-generic-matcher.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-import-csv.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-employee_search.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-order_search.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-invoice.xml"
> warning: failed to load external entity "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-business-bill.xml"
> Preference migration has finished
> Delete tmp dir /Users/john/.gnc-migration-tmp
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.18

What *does* work is to copy the .gconf directory (cp -R) and then to remove all of the subdirectories under .gconf/apps/gnucash.

If you're setting up Gnucash 2.5.6 in a new user folder, you'll need to make a bogus .gconf to make it happy: mkdir -p .gconf/apps/gnucash.

BTW, the Intel Mac bundle I uploaded yesterday was defective. I'll put up a new one shortly. PPC is still building. iBook G4s are *really* slow by today's standards!

Regards,
John Ralls