Announcement: GnuCash 2.5.6 (Unstable) Release 2013-10-08

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Oct 16 12:31:59 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 09 October 2013 11:15:38 John Ralls wrote:
> On Oct 8, 2013, at 5:33 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
> > WARNING: Preferences are not completely migrated from GConf
> > Some preferences are not yet migrated. What's more, the migration
> > occurs every time you start up, over-writing anything that you've
> > changed, so you may want to move ~/.gconf aside after the first
> > time you run GnuCash-2.5.6. You can move it back when you need to
> > use 2.4.13 for real work.
> Unfortunately, this doesn't work. Not having a .gconf directory crashes:
> > usiness-bill.xml" ERROR: In procedure open-file:
> > ERROR: No such file or directory:
> > "/Users/john/.gnc-migration-tmp/migrate-prefs-user.scm"
> Putting it back allows Gnucash to start properly:
> > $ /Users/john> mv .gconf-save/ .gconf
> > $ /Users/john>  Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
> > Application Path /Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash-bin
> > *** GnuCash switched to a new preferences system ***
> > Attempt to migrate your preferences from the old to the new system
> > Copy all gconf files to tmp dir /Users/john/.gnc-migration-tmp
> > Note: you can ignore the failed to load extnral entity warnings
> > below. They are harmless. warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-r
> > eport.xml" warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/general-r
> > eport-pdf_export.xml" warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dev.xml"
> > warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-e
> > xport-csv.xml" warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-i
> > mport-generic-matcher.xml" warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-i
> > mport-csv.xml" warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-b
> > usiness-employee_search.xml" warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-b
> > usiness-order_search.xml" warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-b
> > usiness-invoice.xml" warning: failed to load external entity
> > "/Users/john/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/dialogs-b
> > usiness-bill.xml" Preference migration has finished
> > Delete tmp dir /Users/john/.gnc-migration-tmp
> > Found Finance::Quote version 1.18
>
> What *does* work is to copy the .gconf directory (cp -R) and then to
> remove all of the subdirectories under .gconf/apps/gnucash.
>
> If you're setting up Gnucash 2.5.6 in a new user folder, you'll need
> to make a bogus .gconf to make it happy: mkdir -p
> .gconf/apps/gnucash.

Why guile insists on crashing if you test accessibility of a non-existing directory is beyond me...

But regardless, with the patches I have pushed earlier today this shouldn't be necessary
anymore. The code now checks for the existence of .gconf, .gconf/apps and
.gconf/apps/gnucash in that order and skips the migration attempt if one is missing.

A non-existant .gconf/apps/gnucash directory is interpreted as "gnucash never ran on this
system before". A flag will be set in this case to not attempt another migration in the future.

The same flag will be set if a migration ran successfully.

Together with some additional internal changes the preferences migration should be much
more solid now.

Geert