Who's cross-compiling gnucash for Windows ?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Sep 5 20:10:40 EDT 2013

On Sep 5, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> I'm currently reworking the build scripts on Windows. My goal is to
> leverage the work done by the mingw project to a maximum. In particular
> I'd like to use their installer (mingw-get) to simplify setting up an
> environment in which to build gnucash on Windows.
>
> mingw-get is not compatible with a cross-compilation environment
> however. So I was wondering how many people are actually building
> gnucash for Windows via a cross-compiler ?
>
> My current impression is that the cross-compilation set up has slowly
> been gathering dust. I may be wrong though. Hence the query...

Great! It would be nice to get it working with more recent versions of MinGW.

Cross-compilation implies that it's on a system with working Python, so one could
use jhbuild... in which case, why use the rather clunky shell scripts?

BTW, while trying to build on Win7 the last couple of days I noticed that the versions
of the various packages are scattered about along with their download URLs. I think
it would be nicer if they were in their own block near the top of defaults.sh.

Regards,
John Ralls