Who's cross-compiling gnucash for Windows ?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Sep 7 04:43:29 EDT 2013

On Thursday 05 September 2013 17:10:40 John Ralls wrote:
> On Sep 5, 2013, at 2:07 PM, Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>
wrote:
> > I'm currently reworking the build scripts on Windows. My goal is to
> > leverage the work done by the mingw project to a maximum. In
> > particular I'd like to use their installer (mingw-get) to simplify
> > setting up an environment in which to build gnucash on Windows.
> >
> > mingw-get is not compatible with a cross-compilation environment
> > however. So I was wondering how many people are actually building
> > gnucash for Windows via a cross-compiler ?
> >
> > My current impression is that the cross-compilation set up has
> > slowly
> > been gathering dust. I may be wrong though. Hence the query...
>
> Great! It would be nice to get it working with more recent versions of
> MinGW.
>
> Cross-compilation implies that it's on a system with working Python,
> so one could use jhbuild... in which case, why use the rather clunky
> shell scripts?

There are Windows installers available for python (1). Is python really
the only missing piece to get jhbuild running on Windows ? If so that
would indeed be an opportunity to look into jhbuild instead of our own
scripts. I don't have enough experience with jhbuild though to spend my
time on this. I'd be more than interested to hear your findings if you
can play with it though!

I assume that we would still need to set up a functional mingw
environment which is then used by jhbuild ?

Geert

(1) The installer for 2.7.5 for example is here:
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.5/python-2.7.5.msi