GnuCash OFX import not matching accounts of same ID

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Sep 9 12:36:24 EDT 2013

On 9/4/2013 11:01 AM, Ngewi Fet wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>>
>>> On Sep 4, 2013, at 7:04 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>>
>> The importer does map the OFX Account ID to the GNC Account, but it does
>> not expect the OFX Account ID to be the GNC Account GUID so it doesn't
>> shortcut the manual mapping involved.
>>

> Ah, in that case, there is not much I can do then. I thought (and the
> general user expectation is) that the GNC OFX importer shortcuts the
> mappings.
> Meaning that when it sees a transaction with same account ID, it
> automatically imports and assigns. If the users have to select the account
> every time, then it is very cumbersome.
>
> So if I understand right, the OFX file is treated as coming from one
> account and all to go into one account?
> The OFX standard has account information for each transaction, however.

I am jumping in awfully late.  I was on vacation and not reading and
responding to all my e-mail.  Regarding OFX and multiple accounts, one
of my banks concatenates transactions from several accounts into one OFX
file and GnuCash imports all the transactions correctly, including
transfers between accounts.  :)   That works very nicely and is a lot
more convenient than other banks that only do one account at a time.  I
could show you an example if you are interested.

I believe that multi-account activity is a cornerstone for OFX imports
from brokerage accounts as well.

As to the issue of multi-line splits, while the various releases of the
OFX standard are devoid of examples, they do not explicitly forbid
them.  I think they left room for development in that direction.
GnuCash, in my opinion, could develop a 'variation' of OFX for Gnu-Cash
for Android only that does support both of these issues.  Call it OFX
2.0.3.G(nuCash).