GnuCash OFX import not matching accounts of same ID

Ngewi Fet ngewif at gmail.com
Sun Sep 15 11:55:50 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ngewi Fet <ngewif at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > At the moment I am trying to export QIF from the Android app.
> > GnuCash keeps asking for a "default" account name to import into and
> says the
> > QIF file does not specify an account (4th page of the import wizard).
> > Here is an example QIF file content that I am currently generating :
> >
> > !Type:Cash
> > D2013/9/11
> > T-42.00
> > LAssets:Current Assets:Petty Cash
> > SExpenses:Charity
> > $42.00
> > ^
>
> This is... invalid.  The 'S' doesn't apply here, so would be ignored.
> What you're saying is that you have a Cash transaction from the default
> account to the expense category "Assets:Current Assets:Petty Cash".

Actually the S is not ignored. When I now include the modifications to
specify the account, GnuCash imports the transfer transactions correctly.
So now it looks like this:

!Account
NAssets:Current Assets:Petty Cash
^
!Type:Cash
D2012/10/11
T-42.00
SExpenses:Charity
EGiveaway
$45.00
^

> It's not a valid "double entry" transaction.  Keep in mind that QIF is
> NOT double-entry.  It's single entry; there is always an "implied"
> account, the "default account".  In the case of the above qif the
> default account would be interpreted as the name of the file.  So if you
> name the file "import.qif" GnuCash will assume the default account is
> the QIF account "import".  From there you (the user) would have to map
> "import" to some specific GnuCash account.
>
> Now, there are ways to specify the default account within the QIF file,
> as mentioned in another email, using the !Account tags.

Although QIF is not double-entry, if I specify the S split in the QIF,
GnuCash properly imports the transaction as a split.
So I can continue to use the Splits for this purpose right?

> > I even tried a variation of removing the acocunt information and putting
> the
> > double entry as two splits, but it the prompt for a default account still
> > shows.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong? How can I make GnuCash not ask for a default
> account
> > each time? Or do I misunderstand how the import is supposed to work?
>
> You're using single-account QIF when you want multi-account QIF.

So with multi-account QIF,,  I have to specify each account before listing
its transactions right?
I'll try it and see.

Regards,
Ngewi