Allowing the user to select the currency symbol

Frédéric Perrin fred at fperrin.net
Tue Sep 24 18:01:23 EDT 2013

Hi list,

Since I moved to Britain, I have about half of my acocunts in euro, the
other half in pounds. As I still use the same locale, some accounts use
a nice € symbol and some the less nice GBP ticker symbol. I want to be
able to ddefine the symbol gnucash should use when printing amounts.
What do you think of that feature ?

I have implemented code to do that. We add a property "char*
user_symbol" to the Commodity class. This property is populated from
GConf, and then used instead of the mnemonic when printing amounts (we
still use the canonical symbol of the "default currency" when
applicable). I think I still need a nice interface in the Preferences
dialog to set the user_symbol, but before I do that, what do you think
of that implementation ?

Patch is at: http://brol.fperrin.net/gnucash/nice-currency.patch
Screenshot, where EUR is my default currency, AUD and GBP have a nice
symbol defined, and CHF has no symbol defined :
http://brol.fperrin.net/gnucash/nice-currency.png

--
Fred