scheduled transactions

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Apr 4 00:06:13 EDT 2014

On Apr 3, 2014, at 1:00 PM, Graham Menhennitt <graham at menhennitt.com.au> wrote:

> On 04/04/2014 02:57, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 2014, at 12:45 AM, Martin Mainka <internet at mainka-it.de> wrote:
>>
>>> have some problem with scheduled transaction. After transferring to Ver
>>> 2.6.3 one of my scheduled transactions insists on being a
>>> currency-transaction. All accounts have the same currency but this
>>> transaction appears to be empty, and if i try to enter a value to
>>> correct this, it requests a currency rate.
>>>

>>> This is a user question and should be posted to the user list, not the development list.
>>>
>>> When you re-post to the correct list please provide the details of the SX causing problems, including the account types and credit and debit formulae. Also explain what you mean by “transferring to Ver 2.6.3”: Did you upgrade GnuCash (from what version?) or import the data from a different program?
> John,
>
> With respect, I don't think this actually is a user issue. It may be a
> user question, but I think it involves a bug.

That's OK. Bugs are welcome in the user list, and unless you want to discuss the actual code causing the bug, that's where it belongs.

> Myself, Martin, and a third person (I received a private email from them
> - they can identify themselves if they want to), all had problems here
> with converting existing scheduled transactions from earlier Gnucash
> versions to later. I think it happened around 2.5.5. See my email from
> the mailing list at
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2013-October/036214.html.

Maybe. That post says nothing about the transfer (aka exchange rate) dialog, and about half of it's about Register2.

> In my case, the symptoms were a bit different to Martin's, but I suspect
> the same underlying cause. I've been deleting each of my scheduled
> transactions and recreating them, which seems to fix them. All my
> transactions are in $AU.
>
> The few that I have left show a symptom of rounding the created
> transaction to the nearest whole dollar when they are automatically created.

None of which is germane. When we're in alpha/beta testing, as was the case with 2.5.3, we ask testers to post their reports here in devel to keep them separate from the traffic about the released version. That period ended 29 December with the release of 2.6.0, so such reports aren't appropriate for the devel list.

Regardless of the type of release you're using, if you think you've found an actual bug then file a bug report, even if you have a work around. Bug reports are an automatic "tickler" while list messages tend to be forgotten if they can't be quickly dealt with.

Regards,
John Ralls