Budget View Implementation Question

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 20:36:09 EDT 2014

On 4/15/2014 12:32 PM, Carsten Rinke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently I started playing around with the budget feature, trying it
> out with a simple account structure - only top level accounts.
>
> Doing so I noticed
> - In the summary view at the bottom of the page the totals per period
> are not counted for top level accounts without children
> - there is only one top level account per type allowed for the same
> summary, no matter if they have children or not
>
> I checked the documentation, but I did not see any hints to this
> limitations.
>
> Personally I would like to see the top level accounts considered, just
> to avoid confusion.
>
> The fact, to have only one top level account per account type is fine
> with me. Here I would be fine with an update of the documentation.
>
> Bottom line: I propose two enhancement bugs, one for code, one for
> documentation.
>
> Good proposal?
>
> Kind regards,
> Carsten

Carsten,

As a user I certainly agree that the budget feature should be
substantially improved.  I will ask what you mean by top level accounts,
the five basic types (Asset, Liability, Income, Expense and Equity) or
the first detail level just below those?

I think that there are two or more types of usage for budgets, one being
limited to income and expense, and another being more oriented to cash
flow, which may include assets and liabilities, and the budget (and
budget report) feature(s) should work for either.

Are you actually discussing budget reports?  I do not see the totals
that you mention in the budgets that I have in my data file.  I think
that budget reports should be addressed separately to avoid confusion.
Theoretically, there could be several budget reports linked to a given
budget.  They too need enhancement along with documentation.  Whichever
you mean, please be very specific.

I would be willing to help with the documentation soon as I expect to
have more time free if I can get a different (less resource hungry)
antivirus program installed and operating..  The one I have now is
killing me.

David C