www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Feb 18 14:24:47 EST 2014

On Feb 18, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>
>>> Question is: should we keep providing downloads for these old versions
>>> in the interest of archaeology ? If so the path should stay.
>>>
>>> If not what do we do with the historical news messages ?
>>>

>> Delete it all. I see no benefit to maintaining archival tarballs. In
>> the extremely unlikely event someone wants to build some ancient
>> version they can do so from git. I also see no reason to keep ancient
>> announcements in serve-able form; those are also available from git if
>> some historian wants to look at them.
>>
>> In that same vein, I'll talk to the Gnome folks about getting rid of
>> http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/sources/gnucash/.
>
> I think keeping around history is a good thing.
> Disk is cheap.
> Just mark it an archive and add a README to the current location(s)

As I said, the history is preserved in git.

With the old collections on www.gnucash.org and ftp.gnome.org (and its mirrors) we run the risk of someone finding the collection and thinking that we’re dead, that GnuCash isn’t releasing any more. If you *really* want to serve those old tarballs, at least consolidate them on SF and adjust the links in the old news articles.

Regards,
John Ralls