www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 19 09:51:17 EST 2014

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>> I think keeping around history is a good thing.
>> Disk is cheap.
>> Just mark it an archive and add a README to the current location(s)
>
> As I said, the history is preserved in git.

It's not quite the same as "release tarballs".

> With the old collections on www.gnucash.org and ftp.gnome.org (and its
> mirrors) we run the risk of someone finding the collection and
> thinking that we’re dead, that GnuCash isn’t releasing any more. If
> you *really* want to serve those old tarballs, at least consolidate
> them on SF and adjust the links in the old news articles.

Adding a prominent README file, or changing the directory name to
"archive", or even adding a file named This.In.An.Old.Archive would also
inform someone that it's an archive and provide a pointer for where to
find the actual current sources.

People aren't THAT dumb.  Or at least I'd like to think that. ;)