r23694 - gnucash-docs/trunk - New fonts for building guide/ja/guide.pdf

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 14 11:38:24 EST 2014

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>>> Font metric files are also included in case fop is available but
>>> fop-ttfreader isn't.
>>
>> I wonder, should we just use the metrics automatically, regardless of
>> fop-ttfreader?  Is there any reason not to?
>
> It makes it harder to substitute another font. I agree that it would be
> nicer to not require the user to move them into place, but I was running out
> of time yesterday and didn't work that out. If you want to do it and can find
> time, by all means do so. I think there are more important things to
> work on, like the 33 open bugs against 2.6.0.

Well, as it stands right now it still doesn't work even if you move it
into place by hand because the lack of fop-ttfreader still prevents the
PDF from being created.

So perhaps:

1) If we don't find fop-ttfreader then always use the built-in fonts and
metrics
2) If we DO find fop-ttfreader, then do the search (not using the
built-in font dir).

Or just simplify it to always use the built-in font.  If someone wants
to change fonts down the road then they can just swap them out and
supply the new font files.  Or is that too much overhead?  Do we think
people will actually want to use different fonts?