r23694 - gnucash-docs/trunk - New fonts for building guide/ja/guide.pdf

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Jan 14 11:47:56 EST 2014

On Tuesday 14 January 2014 08:30:58 John Ralls wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2014, at 8:06 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> > John,
> >
> > John Ralls <jralls at code.gnucash.org> writes:
> >> New fonts for building guide/ja/guide.pdf
> >>
> >> These fonts actually work with fop-ttfreader, unlike the IPAex
> >> fonts previously linked. These fonts can be distributed as well
> >> as embedded, which the IPAex fonts could not.
> >>
> >> Font metric files are also included in case fop is available but
> >> fop-ttfreader isn't.
> >
> > I wonder, should we just use the metrics automatically, regardless
> > of
> > fop-ttfreader?  Is there any reason not to?
>
> It makes it harder to substitute another font. I agree that it would
> be nicer to not require the user to move them into place, but I was
> running out of time yesterday and didn't work that out. If you want
> to do it and can find time, by all means do so. I think there are
> more important things to work on, like the 33 open bugs against
> 2.6.0.

Agreed the font stuff is lower priority. I'll just add a few more comments on it though so they are
recorded:

- I checked the debian and fedora repos for common Japanese fonts other than the ipa fonts
and found sazanami which has both gothic and mincho typefaces. But apparently these fonts
are deprecated. Suggested alternatives are vlgothic and hanazono which are available in both
debian and fedora repos. Perhaps those are good alternatives as well and can be used by a
broader user base.

- fop-ttfreader is just a wrapper around a more complicated fop invocation. The essence of this
invocation can be found in my fedora bugreport. So again to allow a wider audience to build the
japanese pdf, we may be able to replace the call to fop-ttfreader with a direct call to fop.

Just for later reference.

I'm pretty occupied with my normal job currently but I hope to be able to hunt a few bugs
before 2.6.1 Particularly the ones I introduced myself ;)

Geert