Building gnucash 2.6.0 python bindings on Debian

Bas ten Berge bas.ten.berge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 15:08:34 EST 2014

Hi,

I'm a new user to gnucash version 2.6, using a postgresql backend and I'm
impressed with it. I used to build invoices using Word and I now intend to
use gnucash for accounting. The installed templates don't work for me, so I
decided to start building a web interface when I learned about
python-gnucash. This web interface should allow me to use templates I'm
experienced with to construct an invoice. That's the basic idea.

I've got the gnucash GUI running on multiple Windows machines, the
postgresql database on a single NAS and I intend to run the web interface
on a raspberry pi. I was not able to install pre-build python-gnucash
packages, as these are build for version 2.4 and there were version
mismatch errors when I used version bindings version 2.4 on a database
build with gnucash 2.6.

I build the gnucash python bindings using configure --enable-python
--disable-gui --enable-locale-specific-tax, make, make install. Importing
the gnucash bindings fail after installation. There's a message mentioning
the schema is missing:
<GLib-GIO> Settings schema 'org.gnucash.general' is not installed

There was a question on the list about that, so the fix was easy, but it
got me wondering when the schema files were installed, and I guess that
happens when the gui is build, right? Could those files be automatically
installed when the python bindings are installed, or any other part of the
backend? This enables a developer to build an API distribution only for
gnucash, which is exactly what I need at this time ;-)

Since I'm posting to the list; there's a warning message when I import
gnucash:
process:1075): GLib-WARNING **: GError set over the top of a previous
GError or uninitialized memory.
This indicates a bug in someone's code. You must ensure an error is NULL
before it's set.
The overwriting error message was: No such file or directory
Is there something I can do about this?

For reference; there was a dbus message too:
* 20:51:19  WARN <> Command line `dbus-launch
--autolaunch=57ae80824714b7b337db9bbc5115ac19 --binary-syntax
--close-stderr' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Autolaunch error: X11
initialization failed.\n