Python bindings: patch, documentation, examples

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Jan 15 04:22:55 EST 2014

On Tuesday 14 January 2014 21:53:40 Henning Jacobs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thanks for all the answers and insights I got from your mails --- what
> I got out of it:
>
> * Sadly no core developer seems to be using the Python bindings :-(
Actually I am using the python bindings to synchronize data in gnucash with a legacy inventory
application based on postgres. But due to my limited python knowledge this is only a very
simple script and not very "pythonic" if you will. So using: yes, actively developing: no.

> * There are some guys actively using it for their needs.
> * Python seems to bring compatibility issues for Win/Mac (personally
> I'm more and more getting an Open Source "Nazi", but I'm sure Win/Mac
> should be no problem if someone invests time)
I tend to agree with this statement. I can't speak for the mac side of things, but on Windows it
probably just boils down to providing an easy interface to install a python version that is
compatible with mingw. Ideally this could be an optional component in the (ISS) installer (and
while we're at it, we could move the optional perl installation in there as well). "Optional" in this
case would mean that it is *not* included in the installer itself but downloaded separately if the
user selects it in the installer.

> * Core C/C++ API will mostly stay stable, so Python bindings
> will/should be maintainable for the future

See John's reply as well. If you want to help improve the python bindings you'll likely have to
follow the development of core gnucash closely in this development cycle as it will change a lot
indeed.

But you don't have to carry the burden alone. As I stated before gnucash is a community effort. I
don't consider anybody responsible to fix each bindings breakage. You are of course invited to
send in patches to fix breakage but even only reporting changes that break the bindings is also
a good contribution already. That can inspire someone else to give it some attention if you can't.

Geert