Python bindings: patch, documentation, examples

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 14 16:33:23 EST 2014

On Jan 14, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Henning Jacobs <henning at jacobs1.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for all the answers and insights I got from your mails --- what I
> got out of it:
[SNIP]
> * Core C/C++ API will mostly stay stable, so Python bindings will/should
> be maintainable for the future

Absolutely not. The core C API is going to change a lot this dev cycle. A lot of it is going to become C++, and in the process a lot of what’s now public won’t be. There will be Python and Scheme bindings to what remains public, but they won’t look like what they do now. Sorry for the pain, but the current API exposes a lot of internals that have to change in order to get to multi-user and to make changing GUI frameworks feasible. The future API will hide those details and allow for it to be stable in the face of changing internals.

Regards,
John Ralls