Python bindings: patch, documentation, examples

Henning Jacobs henning at jacobs1.de
Tue Jan 14 15:53:40 EST 2014

Hi,

thanks for all the answers and insights I got from your mails --- what I
got out of it:

* Sadly no core developer seems to be using the Python bindings :-(
* There are some guys actively using it for their needs.
* Python seems to bring compatibility issues for Win/Mac (personally I'm
more and more getting an Open Source "Nazi", but I'm sure Win/Mac should
be no problem if someone invests time)
* Core C/C++ API will mostly stay stable, so Python bindings will/should
be maintainable for the future

I hope to at least gather/contact the people interested in Python
bindings and bring it forward :-)

Let's see how much spare time I have next weekend...

- - Henning

Am 14.01.2014 07:25, schrieb Tom Lofts:

> Hi Henning,
>
> > * Are there any other known/major users of the Python bindings?
> > * Who is maintaining the Python bindings and is there any roadmap to
> > improve them?
>
> While not a major user of the Python bindings I've contributed a few
minor fixes and enhancements so far which are visiable in recent commits
at
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/trunk/src/optional/python-bindings

> Primarily, I've been looking to create a REST API for Gnucash using
the Python bindings in order to provide a standard way of interfacing
with Gnucash across various languages.

> My initial development is at
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/tree/trunk/src/optional/python-bindings/example_scripts/rest-api
and I have some additional improvements I'm working on at the moment
which isn't ready for public release, but I'd be happy to share with you
if you wish.

> I'm focusing primarily on providing access to the business functions
(creating and editing customers and, creating, editing, posting and
paying invoices) as these are the areas I use most but this should also
cover working with transactions and splits.

> If you have any queries about my development please let me know or
feel free to email me directly if you don't think it would benefit
including the list.