Poll: when to migrate code to the new server?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 21 13:54:19 EST 2014

On Jan 21, 2014, at 8:52 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The new-code server is just about ready for migration.  I've got most of
> the services already installed and tested, (although some less vital
> services have not been fully tested yet).
>
> My main question is when to migrate?  One thing to keep in mind is that
> the new server will not support subversion (except in a read-only
> fashion so existing trac URLs will work).  This means that once we
> migrate the 2.4 series will be dead, unless we upgrade the build server
> to handle 2.4 from git.
>
> Migration will require downtime, probably a good 4 hours (or more) in
> order to make sure data isn't changing as the migration occurs.  I've
> pre-copied most of the data already so subsequent rsyncs should be
> faster.  But then I'll also need to test everything to make sure it's
> working, and I'll have to migrate/upgrade mediawiki by hand.
>
> So this is a long-winded way of asking when we think 2.4 will be
> completely done and when I should schedule the migration?  I know 2.6.1
> is planned for this weekend, so I'm assuming it'll be at least the
> following week, so maybe the weekend of Feb 1-2?

As far as I’m concerned 2.4.15 was the last release. Feb 1-2 is fine with me for conversion.

I *strongly* encourage anyone still using subversion to clone a git repo now. Come here for help. You don’t need to set up git svn, just get a repo cloned and start playing with making changes, creating private branches, merging with master, using git log, trying out a GUI interface, etc. so that when subversion goes away you’re not locked out while you learn to do all that stuff.

Cloning URLs and basic instructions at http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git

The most excellent book *Pro Git* is freely available in various electronic versions and translated into many languages (html only) at http://git-scm.com/book; the english man pages are at http://git-scm.com/docs.

Regards,
John Ralls