Assumptions regarding the python bindings

Bas ten Berge bas.ten.berge+gnucash at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 15:03:38 EST 2014

Hi all,

I'm using the python bindings that are supplied with gnucash 2.6 with the
intention of developing a web application to generate invoice-files, using
data stored in gnucash. Yes, I know about the mantra ;-)

A couple of questions arise as I dig deeper into the bindings and I hope
someone on the list can answer them.

The part I'm currently working on uses the Invoice and Bill classes from
gnucash.gnucash_business. I need access to the entries (?) associated to an
invoice as the application should be able to produce one. I decided to
replicate filtered content of the gnucash database to a database that my
web app will use.

I learned an invoice can contain 0 or more entries. Each entry appears to
be an item that's on the customers' invoice. Some methods, like
GetDocTaxValue(), GetDocDiscountValue(), etc, need parameters and I would
like to verify (and get) the meaning of each of the values.

is_cust_doc => indicates that the method is dealing with an invoice (when
true) or a bill (when false). An invoice is something the GnuCash user
sents to a customer, a bill is something that is to be paid by the GnuCash
user.
is_cn => indicates that the entry is part of a credit note.
do_round => dunno. The effect of this value is not visible on my dataset.

A hint to another source for this kind of information - not being a search
engine - is appreciated.

Thanks, Bas