Default account structure for different locales

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jan 30 11:26:39 EST 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 7:31 AM, Ngewi Fet <ngewif at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that clarification John.
> Intuitively I expected the GUIDs to be generated each time. But once I tried to import two files from different locales (and different machines) and had the GUIDs all coincide.
> That surprised me and got me wondering if GnuCash hardcodes the GUIDs somehow (which I don't think makes sense). But good to know that it's generated each time.
>
> The GUIDs are not too critical for me though, (QIF doesn't use them the GnuCash desktop doesn't check them for OFX). It was more of a future-proofing thing.
>
> However I cannot use the XEA files because they do not have any XML namespaces declared in them. Also, although I noticed the similarity, I don't know what else could be
> different between an XEA file and an exported account structure file.
>
> If the only difference is the lack of XML namespaces and the "new" instead of "guid" attribute, then I can change all that myself and use the files as-is.
> Can you confirm that this is the case?

The XEA file has a description element for the new account assistant. The exported accounts in the exported file have an element act:commodity-scu which you can see in the example in my previous message. The XEA example may have different encoding from the exported one, and the root element in the XEA is gnc-account-example while it's gnc-v2 in the export. You can check this yourself simply by diffing an XEA with the example that results from creating an empty file with it and exporting it.

Regards,
John Ralls