Creating Non-US Tax Reports

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Thu Jan 30 18:34:36 EST 2014

On 01/29/2014 11:41 AM, Alex Aycinena wrote:
> [...]
Thanks much for your effort and future efforts.

Perhaps if you started with the idea of a user-managed tagging of
accounts, transactions, and splits - it would be flexible enough to be
useful without a lot of extra user keyboard effort.

I myself don't yet use GnuCash, but I would like to use it to centralize
the storage of my (minimal) keystrokes and and be able to generate
useful reports. My records are in various bank on-line bill paying
systems that don't really record what I would like to record (such as
the actual payee and why). If I dump these bank records (US banks), I
only get 'CHECK 2014', '20.47'. Pretty dismal.

Many years ago, I was quite happy with Quicken for the Mac. Using the
Checkfree feature, I could pay my bills and have good data stored on my
own computer. But Quicken for the Mac has been gutted by Intuit and
somehow the bill pay feature doesn't work the same way. Until recently,
I was writing out checks by hand and mailing them.

I do have records downloaded from German accounts that are wonderful in
their completeness (MT940 in UTF-8 character set). I process these using
a program developed over a number of years. The key feature is a set of
patterns which categorize all of the transactions. The MT940 files also
have enough redundancy to give me some confidence in my own program. My
balance equals the bank balance regularly over the past couple of years.

The categorization patterns require maintenance as the bank changes
their standards over the years - the character set was only recently
standardized on utf-8. Also, even though umlauts are possible in the
character set (and my patterns..) the bank has recently chosen to use
'UE' instead of the u with two dots over it. Thus my collection of
patterns has many umlaut variations (as well as detecting infrequent
mispelled data). The pattern file is currently 495 lines long. Bank data
stretches back to 2006.

If your user-managed tagging could incorporate user-written regular
expression patterns, I think it could go a long way toward satisfying a
big range of GnuCash users.

Best regards

Bob G