-Wno-deprecated-register with Clang

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jul 2 03:58:28 EDT 2014

On Jul 2, 2014, at 5:14 AM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:

> I just tried to compile GnuCash with clang and it failed because of the change in 4aed8b3 to not set -Wno-deprecated-register with clang.  The version of clang in Mavericks (MacOSX 10.9) certainly recognizes this parameter and won't compile GnuCash without it.  Which version of clang were you using which failed to recognize it?  I'm using "Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.40) (based on LLVM 3.4svn)".
>
> Has anyone built GnuCash successfully with clang?  Even after I fixed that problem, I got lots of link errors that looked like a mismatched C++ library.  I haven't looked into this much yet, but it's probably because Mavericks replaced libstdc++ with libc++.  Since gcc works fine for me, it's not a high priority to fix this.

Mike,

Yeah, I build all the time with Clang, otherwise I wouldn't have needed to make that change. I'm using Xcode 5.0 because of a problem with 5.1,  though I don't remember exactly what. I think it might even have been something on another package. I'll have to change that to a version-based check, I guess. I think Geert builds with Clang on Linux from time to time so that he can run the static analyzer.

I'm adding -stdlib=libstdc++ to CXXFLAGS for building WebKitGtk because the old version I build doesn't like libc++. It's a real PITA to get a new version to build on OSX because the WebKitGtk team are pretty hostile to the non-X11 backends and enjoy deliberately breaking them. That's the only place I use -stdlib, but IIRC you're using MacPorts and they might be using it on something that we couple with more tightly; libofx comes to mind as one possibility.

Regards,
John Ralls