-Wno-deprecated-register with Clang

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Jul 2 15:39:07 EDT 2014

--On July 2, 2014 at 9:58:28 AM +0200 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
wrote:

> Yeah, I build all the time with Clang, otherwise I wouldn't have
> needed to make that change. I'm using Xcode 5.0 because of a problem
> with 5.1,  though I don't remember exactly what. I think it might
> even have been something on another package. I'll have to change that
> to a version-based check, I guess. I think Geert builds with Clang on
> Linux from time to time so that he can run the static analyzer.
>
> I'm adding -stdlib=libstdc++ to CXXFLAGS for building WebKitGtk
> because the old version I build doesn't like libc++. It's a real PITA
> to get a new version to build on OSX because the WebKitGtk team are
> pretty hostile to the non-X11 backends and enjoy deliberately
> breaking them. That's the only place I use -stdlib, but IIRC you're
> using MacPorts and they might be using it on something that we couple
> with more tightly; libofx comes to mind as one possibility.

Yes, I use MacPorts to install the prereqs for GnuCash.  In Mavericks
they switched entirely to using libc++, I think because Apple did.  You
can't use libstdc++ to build things with MacPorts anymore.  The version
of WebKit they include builds ok that way, but I build the X11 version
not the native version.

I found my stupid mistake and GnuCash now builds ok with clang for me
(a lot faster too).  I do both an optimized and a debug build.  The
optimized build works ok, but the debug build crashes trying to produce
a vendor listing report.  It's an EXC_BAD_ACCESS exception and the top
of the stack is

0   libgnc-qof.1.dylib      0x00000001069cc83d qof_book_get_collection
+ 61 (qofbook.cpp:510)
1   libgncmod-engine.dylib  0x000000010663a404 gncVendorLookup + 68
(gncVendor.h:116)
2   libgncmod-engine.dylib  0x000000010663a2aa gncOwnerGetOwnerFromLot
+ 282 (gncOwner.c:630)
3   libgncmod-engine.dylib  0x000000010660b20e
_wrap_gncOwnerGetOwnerFromLot + 126 (swig-engine.c:32929)

I don't have time to look into this right now since real life is
intruding.  If no one else finds it, I'll either fix it or file a bug
report later.

               Mike