Translations of GNUCash into Konkani Language

chandrakantd at cdac.in chandrakantd at cdac.in
Wed Mar 19 06:13:52 EDT 2014

Dear Team,

My Name is Chandrakant Dhutadmal and I am working as Senior Technical Officer in Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), Pune, India http://www.cdac.in . We at C-DAC have been into localization of free and open source softwares since around a decade now. We work very closely with Govt. of India as far as Language Technologies are concerned, specially with “Technology Development in Indian Languages Programme (TDIL)” under Department of electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Govt. of India.

As we look into the list of languages where GNUCash is localized, we find that there are many Indian languages for which GNUCash is not yet localized. We would like to participate in the Localization process and contribute to Translations of GNUCash for all the Indian languages where GNUCash is not yet localized.

Just as a start, I had written en email to coordinator at translationsproject.org, Mr. Benno asking how to start in this process. He had suggested us to send the translations of GNUCash to the development team directly via email.

Kindly find attached the .po files of GNUCash version 2.4.4 for Konkani Language, ISO 693-3 code for which is “kok”. I understand that the current release of GNUCash is 2.6.2, but I believe that even having strings of 2.4.4 is going to be a good start for many languages.

I would also like to inform you that Konkani language can be written using different scripts like Devnagari, Roman and Kannda. We have done translations of Konkani language using Devnagari and Roman script. I am sure you will be able to handle this situation of making available GNUCash in Koknani language in two ways.

Regards,
Chandrakant Dhutadmal,
Senior Technical Officer,
C-DAC, Pune.