Translations of GNUCash into Konkani Language

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Mar 29 12:54:00 EDT 2014

On Mar 29, 2014, at 8:39 AM, Jeff Earickson <jaearick at colby.edu> wrote:

> John,
>
> I searched around in my Fedora 20 system for any sign of kok files and did not find any as an example.
> Would kok_IN.po (for devanagari) and kok_roa_IN.po be acceptable?  I find "at" signs in file names distasteful.

No, and your personal taste is immaterial.

For an example of two scripts for a single language on Fedora, see /usr/share/locale/uz at Latn and /usr/share/locale/uz at cyrillic, or en at cyrillic, en at hebrew, en at piglatin, etc.

Country codes are generally only used on po files when there are different forms of the language used in different countries. Common examples are en_US vs. en_GB and pt_PT vs. pt_BR.

> Everything compiles, but no go at launch time.  I get:
>
> k$ LANG=kok_IN LC_ALL=kok_IN ./gnucash
> Application Path /Users/jaearick/gnucash-project/gnucash-git/bin/./gnucash
>
> (process:5279): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>     Using the fallback 'C' locale.
>
> Backtrace:
> In /Users/jaearick/gnucash-project/gnucash-git/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/main.scm:
>   76: 0* [setlocale 0 ""]
>
> /Users/jaearick/gnucash-project/gnucash-git/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/main.scm:76:1: In procedure setlocale in expression (setlocale LC_ALL ""):
> /Users/jaearick/gnucash-project/gnucash-git/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/main.scm:76:1: Invalid argument
>
> Does this mean fiddling with the gtk library or some issue with gnucash itself?  Is some initial setting needed in src/scm/main.scm for LANG?

It means setlocale() can’t find entries for all of the required LC_FOO subdirectories, so it fails. The way to use an unsupported language is to include it in $LANGUAGE so that it’s visible to gettext but not to setlocale().

Regards,
John Ralls