"private-kvp" merge reverted other changes since November.

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed May 7 03:23:26 EDT 2014

--On May 6, 2014 10:41:17 PM -0400 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us>
wrote:

> That's unfortunate. It means that our strategy of merging instead of
> rebasing isn't going to work.
>
> I can't address the details until I get back from travel next week --
> and it may take a few more days of catch up after that -- but I'll go
> through the diffs in detail and try to repair any regressions.
>
> Going forward we need to consider how to handle long-running and
> deferred branches (private-kvp was an instance of the latter: I wrote
> most of it in November and early December, but decided that we were
> too close to final release to merge it). Obviously more and better
> tests would help, but that's not a realistic prescription. Any ideas,
> anyone?

There has to be a good way to do this since otherwise using topic
branches in GIT would never work right.  Clearly this isn't the case so
there must be something we don't understand.

Rather than try to find and fix all the problems created, it might be
better to revert the merge and figure out how to do it correctly.
There are a lot of problems with the merge and fixing them all is going
to be difficult and error prone.

           Mike