"private-kvp" merge reverted other changes since November.

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed May 7 09:54:02 EDT 2014

On Tuesday 06 May 2014 22:41:17 John Ralls wrote:
> On May 6, 2014, at 6:16 PM, Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:
> > I get this error when I quit GnuCash (master branch) with a report
> > open:
> >
> > Backtrace:
> > In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
> > 157: 7 [catch #t #<catch-closure 116f3a2c0> ...]
> >
> > In unknown file:
> >  ?: 6 [apply-smob/1 #<catch-closure 116f3a2c0>]
> >  ?: 5 [call-with-input-string "gnc:report-generate-restore-forms"
> >  ...]
> >
> > In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
> > 2320: 4 [save-module-excursion #<procedure 1185f6600 at
> > ice-9/eval-string.scm:65:9 ()>] In ice-9/eval-string.scm:
> > 44: 3 [read-and-eval #<input: string 1181f69c0> #:lang ...]
> > 37: 2 [lp gnc:report-generate-restore-forms]
> > In ice-9/eval.scm:
> > 393: 1 [eval #<memoized gnc:report-generate-restore-forms> ()]
> >
> > In unknown file:
> >  ?: 0 [memoize-variable-access! # #]
> >
> > ERROR: In procedure memoize-variable-access!:
> > ERROR: Unbound variable: gnc:report-generate-restore-forms
> >

> > This appears to be because the merge of the "private-kvp" branch
> > accidentally reverted part of 87c9a3b from Feb. 27.  That commit
> > changed the function name to gnc:report-serialize, but the
> > private-kvp merge changed the call back but not the definition.
> > This is only one of many changes reverted by this merge.  Since the
> > private-kvp branch is based on c2d93cbe from November 3, other
> > changes since then have been reverted also.
> >
> > I compared two diffs: "git diff c2d93cbe 207bedb" and "git diff
> > acad5a0 f49983b" which I think should be functionally much the
> > same.  The first is changes made on the private-kvp branch and the
> > second is changes made by the merge from it to master.  In fact the
> > two diffs are quite different.  Among the differences is the one
> > that causes the error quoted above.
> >
> > Just to pick another random example, the merge also removed a call
> > to qof_instance_set_dirty in gnc_template_register_save_xfrm_cell
> > which is in register/ledger-core/split-register-model-save.c.  This
> > call was added in 613ba0d on December 7.  This is only one of a
> > number of changes I noticed.
> That's unfortunate. It means that our strategy of merging instead of
> rebasing isn't going to work.

In fact I think something went wrong in your merge. I have redone it
locally by checking out master right before your merge and merging the
private-kvp branch head right before the merge.

There were a couple of merge conflicts which I manually resolved. After
the merge the gnc:report-serialize call was not reverted to gnc:report-
generate-restore-forms at all.

Neither is the qof_instance_set_dirty call removed from
gnc_template_register_save_sfrm_cell.

I can't tell for sure if the merge I did is fully correct because I had
to interpret the merge conflicts and I only did that superficially. But
still the issues mentioned above are not there. They were not part of
any merge conflict either.

Did you use specific merge settings ? I did only a plain git merge.

Geert